The COVID-19 Speaker Survival Guide
Welcome to part one of a very special new series of Inside the Greenroom!
In lieu of what’s happening in the world today, this might be the most powerful thing that we’ve ever done on the podcast…
Most of us have never experienced something like this in our lifetimes, and my heart goes out to those in the event industry – which is taking one of the biggest hits at the moment. Events all over the world have been either postponed or cancelled, including several I was either running or going to speak at. We also went through this very difficult time back in 2008. At the time, our company had a lot of momentum, events were booming, and it came to a screeching halt. I saw many speakers with powerful messages exit the industry, and I don’t want that to happen again. I’m very happy to say we got through it back in the 2008 recession, and had a breakthrough year because of how we were able to adapt!
In this multi-part series, we’re going to discuss how to pivot and thrive in our business during hard times – because we understand the impact it’s having in the speaking and event industry, and we’re sharing the same struggles you are. I’ll be talking about things we did to overcome the financial crisis during the recession 12 years ago, and also what we’ll be doing NOW at Advance Your Reach to navigate, and boom as a company.
We’ll be speaking on behalf of the major stakeholders in the events industry. In part one, we’re going to cover 8 strategies that are going to help you navigate, win, and boom in this industry as a business owner speaking on stages.
P.S. – Make sure to visit advanceyourreach.com and get your hands on multiple FREE gifts and resources we have for you to navigate through this crisis. Plus, stay tuned for part 2, coming next week.
Here’s what we cover:
- A major opportunity happening in the offline events world right now, and how to capitalize on it
- What you should be expanding in the midst of the COV-19 crisis (this will help you to not be so reliant on one source of income, and it will help you truly change people’s lives)
- The business model of speaking, and the different types of stages you can add into your speaking portfolio
- The different types of digital stages you can double down on (in 2019 we were on over 100 digital stages, and the amount of collective revenue was greater than 99%+ of what professional speakers earn every year in speaking fees)
- The #1 offline stage you should research and win once the virus dies down (these will be full of attendees once things settle down!)
- How to create a “win-win” situation for events by helping them offset their expenses, while being able to generate revenue for yourself
- An overlooked but very powerful stage you can finally begin to build out and promote while you have the time to do so
- How to serve your meeting planners during a time of uncertainty and worry (meeting planners who control offline stages are greatly impacted by the virus, doing this will go a long way!)
- And much more!
QUICK EPISODE SUMMARY:
- 0:30 What to expect today
- 2:00 Take care of your three steak holders
- 3:24 How Pete survived 2008
- 11:14 The eight things you need to think about is to come out on top
- 11:49 Be a go-giver
- 14:10 Expand your product suit
- 19:45 Build out your portfolio of stages
- 23:37 Double down on digital stages
- 32:12 Create your own stage
- 35:00 Recap
- 38:43 The world needs your message
- 40:00 How to get more resources
- 42:40 What’s coming up next week