Ryan Deiss: The Blueprint for Event Revenue
Welcome, Ryan Deiss from the Traffic & Conversion Summit, inside the Greenroom! In this episode, we discuss the Top 4 Event Business models – and how you REALLY make money from events. PLUS, if you’re a speaker, Ryan shares the BEST way to stand out and get hired – even if you’re not well known!
When I first heard Ryan Deiss on live stage a few years ago, he blew my mind – before that, I didn’t know ANYTHING about digital marketing. He’s the one who introduced me to the power of online stages, and he’s been a valuable mentor in my business. As someone who’s been running his own events for a whopping 10 years, Ryan is THE person to learn from!
Ryan Deiss is a bestselling author, founder, and CEO of DigitalMarketer.com and Founder and Managing Partner of RivalBrands.com and plattr.com. Ryan is the creator of the “Customer Value Optimization” methodology and has introduced and popularized many of the digital selling strategies that modern companies now take for granted. Ryan is also the founder and host of the Traffic & Conversion Summit, the largest digital marketing conversion conference in North America.
We also cover:
- The #1 sentence that will win you a stage
- The 8 things he looks for in a speaker (you NEED to know these!)
- The harsh reality of the exorbitant costs that come with running your own events
- The easiest thing you can SELL at a live event
- A fallacy most meeting planners believe when running their own events (note: this is especially true if you’re just getting started)
- Why you should NOT rely on ticket sales to make a profit at an event
- The two primary revenue streams for live events
- The three primary “event models” Ryan has discovered, and the business model that comes along for each of them (note: this includes a fourth “bonus” event model Ryan discovered by accident, which is a hybrid of two of them)
- How to run an event in a way to keep the sponsors happy (note: sponsors often pay $10-30k for a single booth at an event)
- The dangers of running events at union hotels (note: this caused Ryan to lose over $200k from one event because of this)
- Best practices on how to structure your content while you’re on stage, including an example of a featured speaker
- When to share your biography on stage
- The most important thing about the first 2 minutes of your talk
- And much more!
QUICK EPISODE SUMMARY:
- 3:53 Welcome Ryan to the greenroom!
- 4:12 Who is Ryan?
- 7:43 What made Ryan continue to do events
- 8:05 The easiest thing to sell at an event
- 9:34 Making events profitable
- 15:12 The four types of events
- 20:19 The best accident
- 23:35 How to make money on events
- 25:25 Selling Traffic and Conversion
- 27:03 The biggest mistakes Ryan has made
- 32:32 How speakers can catch Ryan's attention
- 37:30 Ryan's honest speaker feedback
- 40:05 The most important minutes of your talk
- 41:52 The speakers who have impacted Ryan the most
- 44:06 Ryan's favorite up-and-coming speakers
- 46:18 Why live events are still important
- 47:07 Ryan's favorite moment inside a greenroom
- 49:08 Final thoughts with Ryan
- 50:15 My biggest takeaways
Connect with Don:
12 Women in Marketing to Watch out For
REACH Live Meeting Planner Track – get ALL the details here.
Thank you for listening! If you like this episode, I’d love for you to hang out with us each week Inside the Greenroom! Leave a review and subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts!
We want to hear from YOU! Have you been to an event that was amazing? Heard a speaker that inspired you? Know a Meeting Planner/Event Producer we should talk to? Or have a burning question you want us to ask?
CLICK HERE and we will cover it on the show!